First Blog!

Despite a lot of challenges the last few weeks, I’m happy to say all is well!
My major setback was not being able to “Live Stream” in the City of Palaces. After setting everything up and reading all the how-to guides I could find, when I was ready to hit the “GO LIVE” button the screen went white, and my laptop hard-crashed. That was a big disappointment, and it left me without a work station for the rest of my trip. But rather than dwell on the bad things, I did see a lot of interesting sites, history and art during my stay. More great news on the way! SP

Posted in

Slim Potatohead

63 Comments

1. Willie on April 24, 2020 at 12:39 am

Thanks for all your videos. I’ve enjoyed them greatly. You have really gotten me excited about boondocking. I planned southwest early spring boondocking trip based primarily on your videos. I greatly enjoyed some of your recommended BD sites. Was having a great time but unfortunately I was chased back to the Midwest early by the virus outbreak.
    Keep up the great work and I will be taking notes for my next trip.

2. Renay Latzig on April 21, 2020 at 7:40 pm

I truly appreciate this blog article.Much thanks again. Really Cool.

3. Val Plant on April 16, 2020 at 4:20 pm

You made me a happy reader, thanks…

4. Gilles on April 2, 2020 at 6:20 am

Slim, just wondering if the “Red Green show” was your favourite? With all the out-of-the-box tinkering and ‘fine-tuning’ you do, it seems you are one of the “Handyman’s Secret Weapon” guys. Really appreciate all your videos, and waiting for the next installment of the enhancements to your new trailer.
    Keep up the good work and entertainment…

5. Tim Allen on March 22, 2020 at 2:31 am

Enjoyed every bit of your blog.Really looking forward to read more. Great.

6. this hyperlink on March 3, 2020 at 7:52 pm

This is a topic that’s close to my heart… Cheers!
    Where are your contact details though?

• Slim Potatohead on March 4, 2020 at 2:01 am

The “Get in Touch” section is on the Support Slim Page. Thanks! SP

7. Joan on February 17, 2020 at 10:54 pm

Hi Slim, Love the web site and can’t wait to see what comes next. Hoping that you might consider highlighting a few more exceptional parks in Canada this year for those of us travelers coming from under the 49th parallel? Like always, I could use your direction!

8. Arthur MacArthur on February 17, 2020 at 8:02 pm

Just watched your Mexico video. It was excellent, and I especially liked the occasional philosophizing you did, like your talking about risk. I’d like to hear more of that, and see more of you traveling to other non-camping areas. However, that would cost you serious traveling expenses, so here is a solution for you to consider. There is another YouTube site that recently created his own internet website, and he charges $12.00 a year via PayPal, to access it. For that money the viewer gets additional material, and videos he puts on YouTube, unedited. In your case, you could sell a $12.00 a year membership so as to fund your non-camping trips, like the Mexico trip. You currently ask for donations, but I’ll bet if you offered a membership of $12.00 per year for those who would like to access your non-camping journeys, You would get the funding you need to start doing that. A dollar a month is cheap to enjoy seeing the rest of the world, from your prospective and point of view. You’ve got thousands of viewers, many of whom can easily afford $12 a year. Think about it.

9. Glyn on February 15, 2020 at 2:55 pm

I did send through your email portal. Thought that maybe it wasn’t getting to you. After reading your latest blog post, I’m not surprised you couldn’t respond. The offer stands when you get caught up!

I have written down a quick tip type tech guide for you. Some, I’m sure you know. Some may be helpful.

As my Canadian buddies in Toronto would always say . . .

Cheers Bra!

10. k jansen on February 14, 2020 at 10:25 am

Hey Slim.
    Great to hear from you and that you found a new trailer.
    Hope you wil soon introduce your new trailer.
    Wat is her name b.t.w.?
    Greetings,, Kitty.

11. Larry Fuller on February 14, 2020 at 4:18 am

Thanks for the YouTube update and the new website. Best wishes and good travels.

12. Dana on February 13, 2020 at 11:06 pm

Well that is good you’re fine! Can’t wait to see ya new rig!?

13. D. R. Green on February 12, 2020 at 5:23 am

So glad to see your last explanatory video. You are missed, as you’re one of the greatest travel video producers on the web. The photos on the home page prove that.

Looking forward to seeing the new camper, and the modifications I know will follow. Now… just get that Murphy fellow off your back, we hope to see you soon.

14. Deb Rahalski on February 12, 2020 at 2:12 am

Hey Slim-
    so happy to see you are back. Been wondering how your travels in warmer places had gone. Glad to see this blog and hear you found a trailer! Grand adventures ahead for sure.
    Having just put in my letter of intent to retire (May 31st) I am preparing to find a road trip vehicle and take on some adventures of my own! There are many things I have learned from from my own “test run” last summer in my little 2002 Toyota RAV. and also from your stories too. Your videos are entertaining and informative, honest and well done ( good editing, nice videography) Good Sense and Good Humor. Keep on posting- I’ll be watching. and sending some support when I can as well.
    Deb R

15. Pete Villemaire on February 11, 2020 at 9:55 pm

Hey, nice website!

Glad to see the rumors you’d been decapitated by the Sinaloa Cartel were greatly exaggerated. Ok, so I made that up. Thought you might have gone off hitch hiking ; ) But great site. Good to have you back Slim!

16. Richard Bowen on February 11, 2020 at 4:02 pm

Hi Slim,
    found your site and you have some really great pics. Have enjoyed your ramblings and your insights.
    enjoy your travels and adventures.
    your admiring watcher,
    rthewizard
    Rich Bowen

17. Scubastaff on February 11, 2020 at 10:22 am

Hello from Down Under !

I did miss my dose of Slim but looking forward to the future Slim “mobile”.

The web site will be great !!

18. paul saulnier on February 11, 2020 at 6:56 am

WEE love your videos ,keep up the great work my fellow Canadian !

19. SueG on February 11, 2020 at 6:10 am

Stunning photos for us all to enjoy, thank you.
    I am looking forward to seeing the new rig.
    Congrats on your web page. Best wishes with the electronics.
    Enjoy ❤️??❤️

20. Jim 3222 on February 11, 2020 at 5:57 am

Curious to see your new home when away from your home. You have some really good images on your home page. Had no idea of what a truly great photographic eye you have.

21. Jim on February 11, 2020 at 5:56 am

22. HeadWestOn90 on February 11, 2020 at 5:38 am

The new website is gorgeous!

23. Rex N. on February 11, 2020 at 4:52 am

Great to see you back, can’t wait to see your new trailer!

24. Faith Priest on February 11, 2020 at 4:07 am

This spring I would love it if you could show us around Canada.??. You have some lovely Gardens there. Aye?

25. Lauren Hesterberg on February 11, 2020 at 4:03 am

You’re back!! I’ve never been so happy to see that little blue dot by my subscriptions! Ha!

26. Bob Zink on February 11, 2020 at 4:02 am

I, like many was concerned about what happened. The reason why I writing is because of your videos which I really enjoyed helped me decide on which trailer to buy. We bought a 2020 Aliner 35th Anniversary Classic in Candy Apple Red and it has the extreme off road package which gives you 15 inch tires. Thank you for sharing your travels and hope to see more of them.

27. Ernie deVries on February 11, 2020 at 3:51 am

Glad to see a new video. You have indeed been missed, but I knew from watching regularly that you’ve been exploring new things so I wasn’t worried. I missed the whole live-stream drama.

Glad to hear about the new trailer! I hope it doesn’t end up requiring a new tow rig.

Ideas for the future – how about a guide for U.S. residents to camping in Canada? Places not to miss, boondocking, etc. I think your unique approach to things I’m sure it would be much more beneficial than the usual tourism promotion stuff.

28. Keith & Jill Lund on February 11, 2020 at 3:35 am

So very glad you are OK and back communicating with us. Really worried the flu bug may have found you. Love your videos and your eye for the creative as well as your terrific sense of humor. Don’t be too hard on yourself, you do a great job with your postings, don’t let that “big TV experience” get you down. Keep up the good work and see you on the road!

29. LYNNE on February 11, 2020 at 3:32 am

I just thought you were lounging on some tropical beach somewhere. Jealous but not at all worried. You should have given us just a peek at your new trailer thought. Glad your back.

30. LaVerne Jones on February 11, 2020 at 3:17 am

Missed you a lot my friend. Welcome back.
    So glad you are OK.

31. Fred on February 11, 2020 at 3:09 am

Hi Slim , glad to see your making it thru the winter ok. Been watching you for a while now, can’t wait to see your new trailer. Being somewhat handy myself, I enjoy seeing your upgrades and modifications to the camper.

32. Iris on February 11, 2020 at 3:01 am

So glad to see you are back and are making positive plans.
    Your videos are like bright rays of sunshine peeking through the clouds and thereby illuminating the entire world.
    Thank you!

33. Frances M on February 11, 2020 at 2:44 am

Hey, I am very happy to hear you are safe. Sometimes setbacks make us stronger and we learn more. Looking forward to news videos and adventures.

34. Robert e on February 11, 2020 at 2:05 am

Hi Slim, hope to see you on the road soon! Can’t wait to see and hear about your new trailer. Glad to hear you are ok!

35. Bruce Yelen on February 11, 2020 at 1:44 am

Glad to see your update. I was going through withdrawal not seeing any new videos. When do we get to see a pic of your new trailer?

36. Randy wilson on February 11, 2020 at 1:15 am

Super guy, you are so talented, we ALL are so intrigued with your life, love your country, 3 times last week

37. Monnie on February 10, 2020 at 11:25 pm

Hey Slim, great to see you, just played your new video on YouTube and looking forward to future adventures with you. I always look forward to seeing your vlogs and good to see you are OK and making new plan for new trailer… see you soon my friend…take care XX

38. Melinda Warren on February 10, 2020 at 11:24 pm

Love the site! I can’t wait for more videos!

39. Brian W. on February 10, 2020 at 11:22 pm

Glad to see you’re OK Slim, I missed you!

40. Mark on February 10, 2020 at 11:05 pm

Looking forward to new trailer vids and modifications

41. TheOtherBill on February 10, 2020 at 10:22 pm

While you were watching youtube did you happen to see your name pop up in comments on other channels? More than once I saw people suggesting dealers (Princess Craft was one of them I remember) or even Aliner themselves give you a new trailer or at least a steep discount on one. I thought it was a good idea.

42. Bruce Roger Lovelace on February 10, 2020 at 9:59 pm

Hi Slim,
    big fan of yours, despite deciding an Aliner was not the RV format I’m going to go with. Great to see you’ve got a website!

Hopefully it won’t prevent you from keeping us entertained and informed regularly through your YouTube channel. It’s really so well done.

Don’t worry about your videos looking professionally edited with perfect sound. People like you because you’re just being yourself and the content is worthwhile. That’s more important than everything else.
    Thanks,
    Bruce

43. Bryan on February 10, 2020 at 9:42 pm

Can you put a photo of the new trailer on here?

44. Amy on February 10, 2020 at 9:12 pm

Really happy to see you back. Can not wait to hear about where you have been and excited to learn more about the trailer. Love the website.

45. David Donica on February 10, 2020 at 8:21 pm

I truly appreciate all of the videos that you have shared on Youtube. Contrary to your recent reaction to playing your videos back on the big TV during your trip, I consider your videos to be first rate. They are engaging, informative and very well made. I find both the audio and video to be far superior to most videos posted on Youtube. I do not know you, but I appreciate your style of engaging the audience with sincerity, truthfulness and humor. You are very good at this, and have a collection of work to be proud of. You have taken me down a lot of roads that I have not visited, and given me travel destinations that I hope to see for myself. Among other things, I am an amateur musician, so I really enjoyed the Delta Blues episode.

As far as Abner: Sell it. There is a buyer for everything. A worn out trailer would be welcome to someone looking to just get out and go camping.

Well done!

• Robert Stambaugh on February 17, 2020 at 7:42 pm

I concur

46. Stephen Ringel on February 10, 2020 at 7:59 pm

I never once complained about the quality of your videos. OK, maybe I did one time when your sound completely died. Still, your videos are way better than anything I could do! Glad your back!

47. Scott Sorci on February 10, 2020 at 7:11 pm

How awesome is this slim, a brand new website to showcase the beauty of nature. I look forward to seeing more of your trips and adventures. I watched your recent video and I do believe that you have great quality work. Keep up the hard work that all of us wish we can do.

Scott~

48. JamesBond014 on February 10, 2020 at 6:26 pm

Can not seem to send email. So here it is . Really enjoy all of your video. We can’t afford even a small rv being both retired. But I live thru your videos as if I and my wife Anita are traveling together. Your simiplist rv is a ok. Suggest you auction it off for more spending cash. Or a lottery. What is the new rv?

49. Jim B on February 10, 2020 at 6:10 pm

Really glad to see this site and hear of your future. Good to know.

50. bev on February 10, 2020 at 5:45 pm

what type of new camper did you decide on? we are shopping and waiting to see what you decided on

51. Felix Kemmle on February 10, 2020 at 4:36 pm

You never said where you went. I’m assuming it was Mexico.

Did you mention it in the last 2 videos? If so, I missed it.

52. Minilifers on February 10, 2020 at 1:29 pm

Glad you doing well! We miss your videos alot. Can’t wait to hear the great news!

• Roger Jarrett on February 10, 2020 at 11:11 pm

Hey Slim
      Just a quick note to tell you that you have been a joy to watch all these years
      I really appreciate your videos
      Thanks for all the hard work and sharing your travels with us all
      Roger

• Chris edgar on February 12, 2020 at 9:19 pm

Well slim you are moving on up

53. James Wilson on February 10, 2020 at 12:03 am

I was kind of wondering what happened to you in Mexico, its Jim the guy you met when you where camping on hwy 40 last november on the east side. Hope you are back at home and safe.

• Bridget on February 10, 2020 at 10:01 pm

So happy you posted a new video, and glad you are safe. Can’t wait to see your new trailer!!! You’re keeping me in suspense!!!

54. Jason on February 8, 2020 at 6:28 pm

I often wonder why you haven’t gone the cargo trailer conversion route. With your mad skills with designing modifications and hand tools I’ll bet there result would be truly extraordinary!

55. Char BB on February 6, 2020 at 5:37 pm

Glad to hear you are safe. Found your website, I must say “IT IS BEAUTIFUL. As always, when Slim does something it is FIRST CLASS. Great job. The Montana Kids

• Cathy P. (KS) on February 10, 2020 at 11:50 pm

We agree, and we couldn’t have said it better!

• Robert Stambaugh on February 17, 2020 at 7:40 pm

I am a bit challenged by social media, but here I go. Enjoy your ingenuity on matters pertaining to your style of camping are interesting. I applaud your perspective on the environment . I am married, live in Colorado and enjoy the outdoors also. My wife and I enjoy your videos

• Betsy Hoefer on May 6, 2020 at 1:50 pm

Thanks for all you do. Very inspiring. When our state opens up I am headed out to camp. Trying photography and solar panels for the first time because of your awesome experience. Thanks ….