When Running is Standing Still

Although currently not traveling, I’m not stopping to catch my breath either. So many things to work on at the same time like videos, new trailer prep and renovations, taxes, etc. In hindsight, this was not the best time to also start a website, as I have no time to manage it! I was also totally unprepared for the mountain of emails I have received over the last few days, far too many than I could possible respond to. I do appreciate the support though, I just need a little time to catch up.

My top priority is to keep producing videos for my viewers, and the ones I enjoy making most are those that tell stories. Many of these are complex and involve not only careful editing, but time for it to all fit together. I find the ones I spend the most time on get the least amount of attention, but that’s OK, as they help me grow as a creator. Fortunately I do not feel the need to torture myself constantly, as easier videos will follow. I do anticipate slowdown in frequency however, especially since I need more time for getting ready to travel again. I ask my viewers for patience as I create, build and tweak. My inspiration is all of you. Thanks so much! SP

Posted in

Slim Potatohead

24 Comments

1. Mike Smith on May 7, 2020 at 8:40 pm

Slim , I have been enjoying your video stories very much , your subject matter awesome , photography and editing superb . My traveling home is a little guy teardrop trailer which we camped from last August in Colorado . I have shared my visit to Mesa Verde and shared your AWESOME Ancients video with my friends and family . Your videos of the Ancestral Puebloans ” Cliff Dwellings ” was fantastic , showing above views of the spaces that some hundreds lived in .. As a suggestion a bit of commentary on M V , would be they lived there 800-1200 AD , initially building ”Pitt Houses ” on bluffs above , farming and hunting there . You may know that another similar area ” Canyon de Chelley ” is not far ,
    Living in San Diego county California , I recommend 660 sq, mile Anza Borrego State Park , there are 2 fee camp grounds , but open camping is allowed anywhere , only with restrictions , making no new roads , pack it in , pack it out , etc ..
    I also like that you include your daily things , repairs , failures , basics that make your adventure , its the humanness that makes your stories so relateable . Safe travels .

2. Allen Fizer on May 1, 2020 at 11:53 am

My wife and I found your videos while surfing on Youtube looking for interesting videos done by travelers. What else better to do during this pandemic? We’ve been fixated on your videos for weeks, we really enjoy your photo, and auto, abilities. Some many breath taking scenes as well. We like your laid back perspective on most things in life too. Your ingenuity with your old Aliner, and now your new Outback, is awesome. Are you sure you’re not a USA American? LOL. j/k. Your new wood stove is awesome, will you be using it in the Outback?
    We are retired, and live in West Virginia. We travel a lot, but haven’t camped in years. We used to using a popup tent type trailer. Your videos gives me the fever to do so again, even at my advanced age. Recently we bought a new Chrysler van with the intent of using it to restart our traveling. But now I’d love to get a small trailer too. You’ve inspired me Slim.
    We’ll be happy to see your new videos, after it’s safe to travel about again. Be safe, enjoy, and thanks for all you do for us with posting your great videos. I’m going to donate to you real soon. With gasoline being cheap as it is right now, maybe it’ll help you buy a few gallons on your next trip. We really appreciate you.

3. JamesDer on April 29, 2020 at 2:12 pm

Great looking website. Presume you did a whole lot of your very own coding.

• Slim Potatohead on April 29, 2020 at 4:10 pm

I did no coding at all, I paid for the service. Not exactly pleased with the results, but hopefully someone I can trust can clean it up later on. Thanks!

4. julene m berndt on April 25, 2020 at 3:30 am

I just want to thank you for taking us into you world and giving us all the opportunity to see so much beauty that is ours for the viewing. So many of us, for one reason or another, are unable to get to the places that you hike into.
    But with your camera and your eyes we are there.
    Stay healthy, and safe on your future travels. We all look forward to them.
    Your Friend in Wisconsin,

5. what is cla safflower oil on April 22, 2020 at 11:57 am

I’m not sure why but this web site is loading incredibly slow for me.

Is anyone else having this problem or is it a problem on my end?
    I’ll check back later and see if the problem still exists.

• Slim Potatohead on April 22, 2020 at 5:47 pm

It’s the site. The web designers I paid big bucks for were grossly inadequate. Unfortunately I just have to live with it until I can find someone with experience I can trust. SP

6. cbd on March 16, 2020 at 3:16 am

First off I want to say fantastic blog! I had a quick question in which
    I’d like to ask if you do not mind. I was curious to know how you center yourself and clear your mind before writing.
    I have had difficulty clearing my thoughts in getting my
    ideas out. I truly do take pleasure in writing but it just seems like the first 10 to 15 minutes are usually wasted just trying to figure out how to
    begin. Any suggestions or tips? Many thanks!

7. cbd on March 16, 2020 at 3:05 am

Greetings! I’ve been reading your web site for some time now and
    finally got the courage to go ahead and give you a shout out from
    New Caney Texas! Just wanted to tell you keep up the good work!

8. Don Jordan on March 6, 2020 at 3:04 am

Hi slim,

Here is a trip I think you should consider taking some time. Miles and miles of Free Camping. It is Highway 14 out of Mojave California. About 50 miles north it joins Highway 395. Starting at Mojave there is the new Space Port, then Red Rock Canyon, The Burro Schmidt Tunnel, Fossil Falls, Owens Dry lake and the Charcoal kilns, Lone Pine and the Movie Museum (fantastic), the Alabama Hills where hundreds of old western movies were made. Then there is the Japanese Relocation Camp at Manzanar. Whitney Portals and Fort Independence. It would take weeks to explore all of the sites along that particular stretch of highway. All of that is within a hundred and fifty miles along the highway. This is my home turf. If you want more information on this area let me know and I will provide it. Just don’t make the trip in the summer. The desert can get a bit hot!

Boonie Buster

• Slim Potatohead on March 6, 2020 at 4:02 pm

Thanks Don, some great ideas for camping. Always appreciate tips! SP

9. Misha Vlad on February 29, 2020 at 4:36 pm

I understand about doing so many things, some “supposedly” simple and other just monsters! I bought 3 of the little China Amp-Volt meters, and have spent hours and hours trying to get them to display Volts/Amps correct. Of course, no directions or diagrams, wire colors & sizes all different, just 6 or 7 Different Diagrams on internet. Blown wires crossed, zap!, blown fues (maybe 10-12?) and more exasperations. Finaly I have a 50A with shunt that works! OK, you don’t have to do that Amp-Volt Wire video. I finally have all of the pieces needed to make a Fat-50 stove and parts/pieces to make an Eco Fan. Fan to look like those metal sculptures you see when somebody welds auto parts and muffler parts together to make some sort of wierd man whatever. Parts are ascavenged from dead chainsaw engine, blocks of aluminum, heat sinks and little parts from dead computer. It would be your kind of thing in my opinion.

Free real snowshoes here if you would like to have some “real” ones made from bent wood/rawhide, etc like in “olden days”. Inherited from grandfather, but you are welcome to have them if near Yellowstone.

Monster time getting solar wired, roof fan installed, modify smal truck a little for tow-job, and more. Converted cargo trailer will not fit in garage, so it’s outside in toasty -10C to -15C temps. There is so much snow this year, piled over 2 meters high (2.5M x 3M x 150M) along driveway, not many places left to shovel more. At least it is a form of exercise?

Take all the time you need to get back in the groove. I hope to be ready to venture out by mid April, maybe cross paths somewhere. I enjoy what you do, will try to emulate some. Ill letchano howda apple wine turns out!
    poka

10. John Roe on February 24, 2020 at 4:42 pm

Hi Slim!
    I’m sure you are already aware that your voice, pacing, and delivery style are extremely similar to that of the late great Warren Miller.
    When I first happened upon your YouTube channel that fact was what immediately hooked me in.
    I had just bought a vacation home in Payson, AZ and loved your Mogollon Rim video.
    Good luck with the new trailer, conquer those new technologies, and I hope you will be making many more videos going forward!

11. Greg G. on February 24, 2020 at 5:24 am

Hi, Slim. No worries about catching up. If all this fame stuff gets to be like a job milking cows, it won’t be fun anymore. You do what you gotta do.

Hey, did you know there’s a Potato Creek State Park in North Liberty, Indiana? My wife and I saw it on the GPS on our way to pick-up our new Rockwood GeoPro in Shipshewana, Indiana, this past Thursday. Thought of you, lol.

Take care.

12. Dawn in YYC on February 22, 2020 at 7:29 am

Love your videos and now the website, too. I also use PowerDirector for editing! Lived in my van for five months and can’t wait to get back out on the road; until then I live vicariously through your videos. 🙂

13. Barry Nystedt on February 19, 2020 at 8:48 pm

HI Slim, I want to share my gratitude for your work, most especially the “Slim Gets the Blues”. I recently visited the National Museum of African American History and Culture, an amazing experience. As a jazz fan I remembered your video, I will be traveling through Mississippi to the New Orleans for the Jazz & Blues Festival this Spring with my recently purchased used Aliner Expedition. In further research I discovered there is an organization called “The Mississippi Blues Trail” that among other work highlights all the historic markers for Blues in Mississippi and its influence around the Globe. I so much appreciate the inspiration you gave me to visit some of those very same sites, I am so excited! I noticed the reference above to the Geo Pro which was my first choice, however, the Aliner could not be beat for storing in my garage since I live in a Condominium. This will be my very first expedition with the Aliner. Looking forward to seeing your new home on wheels!

• Slim Potatohead on February 19, 2020 at 9:09 pm

Hi Barry, Congrats on the Aliner and your plan for Mississippi and the Jazz Festival! Camping should not be too big and issue in the Delta (little free of course) but New Orleans can be a big Challenge. I stayed at Fontainbleu State Park my last trip there. Would love to hear if you find a better spot. Enjoy camping and enjoy the blues! SP

14. Mary Ann Branham on February 19, 2020 at 3:26 pm

So understand the dual feelings of elation/frustration with internet video tech that you recently expressed. It’s beyond amazing when it works and utterly maddening when it fails. One of the loveliest pics on your web site at present is that of the Luna Moth! Seeing one in it’s natural habitat has been a bucket list item for so long. Hope some tech savvy folks, preferably interested in your RVing lifestyle can come to your rescue on the tech issues. Your followers would enjoy seeing you collaborate with some of them. Maybe the young couple Barron and Elsa (ElsaRhae’s youtube channel) might be a start or they can point you to other resources? Enjoy all your adventures and advice. Looking forward to seeing how you do in the new trailer.

• Mark Underwood on March 31, 2020 at 1:30 pm

Hi Slim, only resently had the pleasure of watching your videos. Although you make it look easy your photography is really good, and I often find I relax and excape while explore another part of North America.
      I assume your first Jeep was petrol as it overheated on a really long uphill section? In Europe we tend to use diesels and your A frame would not be much over 1000kg fully loaded ?
      With Covid 19 on the move I suspect you will have more time in doing your Glass Fiber Caravan project? I for one, are looking forward to the videos, but I suspect the elephant in the room will be restrictions on travel?

15. AffiliateLabz on February 16, 2020 at 7:04 am

Great content! Super high-quality! Keep it up! 🙂

16. Larry Bradford on February 16, 2020 at 4:33 am

So glad to know about your new trailer and that you are “alive and well.” I’ve watched almost all of your posted videos and have learned so much from them. Like you, my wife and I are on our second Aliner (and a Chalet in between). In May we will take the trailer (haven’t named it yet, but am thinking of “Halfast” from Colorado to Columbus, NM, just three miles north of the U.S./Mexico border.

Come back to Colorado and visit The Grand Mesa, the highest flat-top mountain in the world! We live at its base and would welcome you any time. Keep pressing on…your creativity and love of discovery is apparent in every video you make.

Larry Bradford, Cedaredge, CO

17. Cassie Wyland on February 15, 2020 at 11:21 pm

Hey slim! I just bought a geopro trailer…sold my chalet pop up… I’m so happy with this new one. Can’t wait to see yours..
    Bet it goes back woods, hey?

18. Dave Knapp on February 15, 2020 at 4:10 pm

Welcome to the world of web pages. Just saw the video that mentioned the new trailer. Curious as to what it is. Wife and I have a 2015 Aliner Ranger 12, but without the huge number of customizing yours has. Our best trip so far was from our home in central Virginia to Prince Edward Island in October of 2018. Canada was very beautiful and we loved the chowders along the way. We are planning a trip for this spring up thru Michigan and around the lakes to visit Niagara Falls. This time we’re going to take our standard Poodle.

Good luck with the new trailer, we’re anticipating more of your enjoyable videos.

• Zach on February 16, 2020 at 7:48 pm

Hey slim Zach with ChinacreekOutdoors. Cant wait to see the new trailer I’m getting antsy for a new video man lol.