Slim Potatohead in the Sun

A viewer named Debbie sent this to me. It was inspired by my choice of cushions while upgrading my Outback trailer. Here’s what she wrote: “Where might Slim and the new trailer travel? Had fun doing the drawing though – another quarantine activity!” Thanks Deb, you made my day! SP

Posted in

Slim Potatohead

12 Comments

1. Brian on June 28, 2020 at 1:35 pm

Hi Slim,

I just started watching your videos and enjoying your modifications and travel ideas. We live on the east coast, Canada, so it is always good to get a Canadian perspective on trailer travel and winter escapes south. We pull a small teardrop camper. Anyways, thanks for sharing your travels and I look forward to seeing more of your travels.

Brian

2. David Martinez on June 12, 2020 at 12:27 am

In watching your videos you have the most interesting food recipes. They look quick and easy to make. Can you do a video on just your camping cuisines. Maybe a cookbook is in order : )

3. misha vlad on May 20, 2020 at 3:39 pm

New trailer is looking good. Neatness counts in a compact package. BTW, what are you doing (put/place/use/not use) the Alpicool fridge? Curious. I got the C22 and found that it works better on 120v from battery to inverter. Whatever, it still only sips power….
    Have a great spring in spite of the C-19 problem.
    YMMV

4. Brad Langley on May 15, 2020 at 7:46 pm

Hi Slim!

Like your new trailer a lot. My wife and I would like to get a similar trailer maybe just a few feet longer so she can have privacy for showers and restroom. The design of you trailer seems like it would handle windy camping days with more stability? Can’t wait until you have it out in inclement weather and the results! I knew you’d like the awning! They make a huge difference! We just retired last year just north of St. George Utah!

• Slim Potatohead on May 16, 2020 at 2:05 am

St George is such a beautiful area, must be perfect for retirement. My favorite driving experience is after coming down I-15 through fierce cold, rain and snow from Alberta, Monatana, Idaho and Utah. Somewhere around St George you suddenly emerge from frozen desolation and get the first glimpse of red rocks and Joshua trees, and warmth. Paradise! SP

5. tony bals on April 22, 2020 at 10:49 pm

As you travel, since most of your camping is in boondock, how do you deal with the heat? I have an aliner and I am thinking about rigging up a PVC frame on top that would hold a tarp about 8-10 inches above the actual camper top. That way the sun’s heat would be absorbed by the tarp before it can heat up the camper’s top. Have you ever thought about this or seen this in practice.

6. Garry North on April 20, 2020 at 9:02 pm

Hi Sim, I’m in lockdown in Australia, enjoying your vids.. I have the smallest Avan the Sportliner and am itching at the bit to head off up the centre of Australia to the Daly River in the Northern Territory to free camp and catch some barramundi, the best table fish in the world. Cheers Slim, keep up the travels.

PS. Is your daughters last name Potatohead ?

7. Christopher E Edgar on April 8, 2020 at 12:58 am

How’s it been going old man just checking up on you, chris

• Slim Potatohead on April 8, 2020 at 2:53 pm

Going good, Thanks! SP

8. Slim Potatohead in the Sun – Dry Wit Designs on April 2, 2020 at 11:21 am

[…] in an evening effort to make the walls of my own home disappear for a bit, I came up with “Slim Potatohead in the Sun.” If the perspective’s off a bit, the drawing was a pleasure, and hey, it’s all […]

• Karin on May 27, 2020 at 9:58 pm

Hello, Slim Potatohead. I bought my 2004 Aliner Expedition a week ago! I don’t know how I stumbled across your video but lucky me!! I watched every one and ran out to my trailer to start working. Tore out the cabinet, just right inside the door. Because of you, checked the water hose and decided it needed to go. I’ve torn all of the various, added contact paper, cleaned it from top to bottom, explored the spaces, then started painting the cabinets and lower areas. Took out the cushions and just ordered the material, an hour ago, to recover them. I think I’ve finally decided on the perfect paint color… Now, let me tell you that I had it delivered. I found a generous seller. It was only 3 miles. I don’t have a trailer hitch on my current car and am not sure if it will tow the new trailer. Think I might need a new car. In the mean time, I’m giving it a make-over with the dream of future adventures. You’re the 3rd person I’ve told. What I wanted to say is that you are the coolest, laid back, creative, talented person I have ever “viewed”. You like Muddy Waters! As if your Jack of all trades wasn’t enough, your gifts also include making videos, and explaining everything so calmly and so perfectly. Wish I had you next door for some of the big tool items…Thanks for the help and giving me a place to go when I do have trouble down the road.

• Slim Potatohead on May 29, 2020 at 3:04 pm

Hi Karen, Sounds like an exciting project. I’m sure it will open up (!) to some fantastic camping adventures. Be sure to check the lower inside corners for any signs of water damage, as well as any signs of frame fatigue (if the door gap remains parallel in closed position. I bet you just can’t wait to get out into the woods. Good Luck! SP